Prior to its development in 1897 at which time six holes were
laid out with the first tee just below St. Andrews Church, the
present site contained farms, businesses, a school house, salt
vats and a digitalis farm which harvested the foxglove for use
as a heart stimulant. In 1901, enough farmland was leased
from CB Marchant for Alexander Findlay to lay out a nine hole
course, and in 1913 an eighteen hole course of 5200 yards was
completed. In the early 1920’s, more land was purchased and
Donald Ross was engaged to extend the layout to 6000 yards.
The Hyannisport Club, incorporated in 1909 for “the purpose of
encouraging, promoting and practicing exercises, especially
the game of golf” is a fine example of the far sightedness of the
founders and $25,000 in capital can accomplish.
Take Rte 6 to Exit 6 (Hyannis- Rte 132.) At
the end of the off-ramp, turn right onto Rte 132 South. Follow Rte 132
south, cross the first set of lights at Phinney’s Lane and stay to the