Oyster Island was purchased from the Indians in 1737 for
£517. In 1925, Ferris W. Norris, an entrepreneur and developer
from Boston, purchased the island for approximately
$500,000. The Olmstead brothers, the landscape architects
who designed Central Park in New York and the “Gardens” in
Boston, were engaged to plan roads and homesites, and Donald
Ross was challenged to build “the best course ever”. During
the fall of 1925 and for the following year, 348 men, 96
horses, 6 tractors, 2 steam shovels, 42 trucks, 2 tree pullers
and a steam roller removed 800,000 trees from the 140 acres
reserved for the course. All of the holes remained heavily tree
lined until the hurricane of 1944 during which tens of thousands
of trees were lost. The course remains as one of Ross’
Take Route 6 to
Exit 5. Off ramp go (south) onto Route 149. Follow 400 yards, bear left at
fork onto Osterville-W. Barnstable Road. Follow 1.2 miles to the first
stop sign. Go straight across Race Lane staying on Osterville-W.
Barnstable Rd. Follow for about 1.7 miles to your first stop light.
straight, crossing Route 28 (Falmouth Rd.) for about 7/10ths of a mile,
until Osterville-W. Barnstable Rd. ends. Turn left onto County Rd./Main
St. Follow for 1 mile into the village of Osterville.
right upon approaching the store district (don't take the sharp, hair-pin
turn) stay on Parker Road. At the first stop sign (4-way) turn right onto
West Bay Rd. Follow over bridge and to the gate, thru the gate house stay
on the main road to the club.
Oyster Harbors Club
170 Grand Island Drive
Osterville, MA 02655