Oyster Island was purchased from the Indians in 1737 for £517. In 1925, Ferris W. Norris, an entrepreneur and developer from Boston, purchased the island for approximately $500,000. The Olmstead brothers, the landscape architects who designed Central Park in New York and the “Gardens” in Boston, were engaged to plan roads and homesites, and Donald Ross was challenged to build “the best course ever”. During the fall of 1925 and for the following year, 348 men, 96 horses, 6 tractors, 2 steam shovels, 42 trucks, 2 tree pullers and a steam roller removed 800,000 trees from the 140 acres reserved for the course. All of the holes remained heavily tree lined until the hurricane of 1944 during which tens of thousands of trees were lost. The course remains as one of Ross’ greatest creations.
Oyster Harbors Club
170 Grand Island Drive
Osterville, MA 02655
Take Route 6 to Exit 5. Off ramp go (south) onto Route 149. Follow 400 yards, bear left at fork onto Osterville-W. Barnstable Road. Follow 1.2 miles to the first stop sign. Go straight across Race Lane staying on Osterville-W. Barnstable Rd. Follow for about 1.7 miles to your first stop light.
Continue straight, crossing Route 28 (Falmouth Rd.) for about 7/10ths of a mile, until Osterville-W. Barnstable Rd. ends. Turn left onto County Rd./Main St. Follow for 1 mile into the village of Osterville.
Take first right upon approaching the store district (don't take the sharp, hair-pin turn) stay on Parker Road. At the first stop sign (4-way) turn right onto West Bay Rd. Follow over bridge and to the gate, thru the gate house stay on the main road to the club.